Friday, October 28, 2011

Lonely Times at Piano Bar

Published 10/28/2011

So the first place I decided to revisit was Piano Bar. Since I’ve been there before I decided that this was a good place to start because it’s free.99 (we do love a good bargain), their drinks are uber strong, like maybe dangerously so, and it’s super dark in there, dark enough maybe, that no one would notice that I was there all by myself.
Now let us back track as to why I decided that it would be a good idea to go out by myself on a Saturday night in the first place. Well I didn’t, deliberately decide to go by myself that is. This particular Saturday started like most others: I went to work (blah), I went grocery shopping( I m so boring) , and then I proceeded to play Blackberry roulette,  a game that involves me texting my friends who are habitually sleepy or with their boyfriends to try to convince them that there is indeed a world outside of the Valley. Well I’ll spare you the suspense: they were all sleepy and/or preoccupied with said boyfriends. After googling “good bars to go to by yourself in Hollywood on Saturday” and deciding that I really, really need to reevaluate my life, I pregamed alone, got dressed by myself, and danced in my car solo, as I drove to Hollywood.
So back to Piano Bar: I love the whole local band thing that they have going on here, even though the one that was there on this particular night did not quite strike my fancy. After about 17 minutes of pretending to be really into the music and being overwhelmed by my delightfully overpowering Washington Apple I resorted to one of my old solo-outing standby activities: overly important texting. I’m sure absolutely no one was fooled by my attempt to look important and/or popular, as well they shouldn’t have been. I spent the better part of an hour tweeting insults about the fashion mishaps of the people  around me and begging my friends to reconsider their wise decisions to avoid traffic and come rescue me from my lonely fate. No such luck. Finally I retreated to the sacred haven of nightlife- the bathroom. As I pondered my next move I was accosted by a drunken strumpet who tried to dance with me and insisted on referring to me as Veronica, unresponsive though I was. That was my cue to go back home, which was probably a good idea considering that there was nowhere else in the near vicinity that I could justify standing in a line by myself. Wonderland- nope. Empire-won’t catch me in there. Ecco- that almost happened. Colony- not without a wingman, so home I went.
EVENING SCORECARD:
Venue: 4
Alcohol Situation: 5
Actual Beneficial Networking Achieved:0
Personal Victory/Dignity Retained:0
Atmosphere: #winning                

No comments:

Post a Comment